Monday, February 22, 2010

Here's Our Start

This is me, the creator of the blog. I felt it would only be fair to be the first one to showcase a peek inside my life; what I love and how I live. I like simple things; it doesn't take a lot to make me happy. I'm easily content with a grilled cheese sandwich and a glimpse of sunshine. 
My lovees - Being a mother to my 3 kids is the greatest joy. I'm a widow raising them on my own. As sad as that may seem, it is also a reminder of how lucky than unlucky I truly am.
www.craigslist.com - Every piece of furniture new to my home in the last 3 years is from craigslist.com. It is my first resource for saving, both financially and theoretically. This is one of my favorite finds, my white china cabinet - scored at only $100! I bought it from a woman in Wilmette, who had originally purchased it at the San Francisco flea market and moved it here. 
A recent find, this custom Mitchell Gold sofa in a yellow tweed fabric originally purchased from Jayson Home & Garden. I purchased it for a fraction of what it would cost brand new. 
Collecting Sea Glass - I have 18 cups full of sea glass I collected in the past 3 years from the lake. I found a way to showcase my collection informally so I can continue to add to it. I purchased some inexpensive clear cups from IKEA. I sort the collection by color, size and/or stage of frost. These tiny specks of the most gorgeous hues of green, brown, blue and white are the true treasures in my home. 
 
Magazines from another country - Looking through these magazines for 20 minutes guarantee you inspiration it would take 2 weeks to find here in the states. They on the other side of the ocean get what we are searching for, but can't fully grasp here in America. Both these magazines are always filled with beautiful pictures of homes that make you say "If I live there, I wouldn't change a thing".
My nook - This is my favorite corner in my house, it represents all things special to me. The antique table was a birthday gift from my dear friend, Laura who found it at an estate sale of our transported friend, Jill. The mirror originally belong to another good friend, Valerie and purchased at part 2 of the same estate sale. The bigger jars house my collection of old keys, movie/concert stubs, foreign money, "making quarters out of change" and old things that once lived in my wallet - from a dinner receipt of a fabulous meal to fortunes from cookies. The little jars contain my most precious sea glass collection; blue ones and beautiful white china pieces found along the lake. The framed picture is the kids and me that I manage to take by myself. (same picture from above) The bowl I made of melted plastic with colorful swirls that keeps my array of pom-poms I make. Luckily, I have not kill one of my favorite plants, the weeping willow. Lastly, a stack of my favorite house books:
Find a corner in your house that only belongs to you. A reflection point to remind you of the special people in your life, experiences you had, things that make you smile and a collection that motivates you to keep searching.
Reggae Music - My muse. You may hear the recurring theme of "one love" in Reggae music. This well-known and everlasting slogan describes the root of reggae. It represents the philosophy of the music and lifestyle that we are all created equal, brothers and sisters and that there should be no barrier, but one love for each other. Sometimes when you feel your house needs a face lift, play some music (my suggestion- reggae) and it changes the complete tone of your home.
Carmel, California - Also known as Carmel By The Sea, about 2 hours south of San Francisco. I could spend the rest of my life living there. The houses in Carmel are not numbered with postal numbers. They are refer to by name. The town sits on the beautiful Monterrey Bay with white sandy beaches. The homes are cottages, straight out of Snow White. This town was established by artists escaping the craziness of the city. There is abundance of art galleries, coffee shops and small bed and breakfasts. Your four-legged friend will be in dog heaven. Carmel prides itself on being dog friendly, from its no-leash required privileges to dog menus at the local restaurants. 

1 comment: