Friday, April 23, 2010

A View That Fuels


Imagine having this view, right here in Glencoe from your back yard. Did you know there could be so much solitude away from the waves of our beloved lake? I could get use to this, I may even forget that we have a beach nearby. This is the view Beth gets to see everyday. This alone would inspire me for weeks. Here, she shares her ideas on easy, breezy living. And I'm sure, the view helps. In her own words:
"The best decorating tip I've heard: start an “I love it file.” This is different than a file of decorated room photos or furniture tear sheets. The idea is to gradually add photos (or anything that fits) to a file without over-thinking why. When you collect photos or clippings just because you love it, patterns emerge, making it easer to define your style in a personal and authentic way. A dedication to those deeply personal preferences inspires design solutions that are original, genuine and long lasting. This exercise gave me the confidence to place a Pier One lamp next to a Mike Bell chair -- because I love it."
  
"I like dappled sunlight, hydrangeas, natural or landscaped pathways, and inviting cozy settings that make you want to curl up and read a book. Some of the things my folder includes are: a photo of families sitting around an outdoor fire pit, snapshots of casual sundrenched rooms, a few pieces of sea-glass, and this quote by Parisian decorator Andree Putman," “"Style comes from that secret knowledge that modest things can be more beautiful than anything expensive.""
"My favorite Artwork: a painting from Melanee Cooper Gallery, Chicago  The Gift, by Susan Hall."

"My most functional design solution: a 4’ x 10’ mini office for me. Most closets could be converted into this clutter-reducing, smile-producing version of “mom'’s "command central”." The previous owner of my home cleverly designed this cozy space. Gaelynn added an external mail box on one side, a recycling bin on the other, a desk, file cabinets and most importantly sliding doors to close it off when it gets too messy! I work out of my home part time for the Center on Media and Child Health so this space is very important to me."

"Another functional design solution: Often needing to seat 20 people at once, I switched my dining room and living room. We have double the seating and enjoy dining in front of the fireplace."
This dog has the right idea. He is immersing in the serenity this house has. Exactly my thought on my visit. I wanted to sit down and relax, too. This house does that to you, it makes you feel as though you are an extension of Glencoe, as though you are on vacation. Imagine that, the best of both worlds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment