Monday, March 1, 2010

Antique and Lighting Fixtures

Antique and vintage lighting fixtures are a great way to add charm, a whimsical effect and uniqueness to your home.  If you know where to look, you can find great buys that will make your rooms extremely distinctive.

Check out consignment stores and antique malls in the area.  Anna's and The Find in Highwood are good places to start.  When you travel, check the stores in the cities you are visiting.  Urban Totem in Evanston has a wonderful selection of vintage chandeliers and sconces.  Visit websites such as ebay and 1stdibs.  1stdibs can be expensive.  You may want to contact the dealer directly if a piece catches your eye.  In NYC, visit ABC Carpet and Home.  This iconic store is my favorite.  During sales you can get the best deals. You also save on sales tax when you ship your purchases.  A website definitely worth checking.


If you find a fixture that is the right price, shape and size, but the wrong finish, just change it.  I changed some brass chandeliers to a nickel finish to match my decor.  Bellows in Hubbard Woods and International Silver Plating in Glencoe can clean and change the finish of your fixtures.
    
Think outside of the box.  I have seen some interesting and whimsical lighting that originally started out as baskets, balls, bottles and lanterns.  The two large lanterns hanging over the island in my kitchen, were originally for candles.  Bellows electrified them for me.
     
I had so much fun hunting for fixtures for my house, that I now volunteer to help friends.  My next shopping trip will be at the Chicago Botanic Garden Antique and Garden Fair, starting Thursday, April 15th.  Every year I go, and come home with great pieces.
I changed the finish from brass to nickel on this unique vintage fixture.
This amazing chandelier was purchased from Anna's for quite a deal. 
Fits perfectly in the powder room
We wired these large candle lanterns for one of the kitchen islands. 
The glass gives off a wonderful glow on the ceiling.
We call this the gumdrop light.  It was purchased at an antique mall in NYC.
I found this chandelier at Urban Totem. 
The owner says it is from France.  It is one of my favorites.  
It hangs in my older daughter's room.  It has the glam factor.
This brass deco chandelier has the most unique crystals.
This vintage fixture hung in Marshall Field's cosmetic department.   I changed the finish to nickel.  The glass is a beautiful blue/turquoise.  This light was found at Urban Totem.

This single sconce was found at The Find.  It was also a bargain.  
You can often get great deals on single sconces.
This vintage garden wall light was purchased on ebay.  It was a BARGAIN!  Saw similar ones  at the Botanic Gardens Antique Show for more than triple what I paid
All front porch fixtures are antique black iron.  Found at Bellows.

No comments:

Post a Comment