Sunday, March 14, 2010

Interior Design as a Career

Interior Design is my passion and I'm very lucky to have it as a career. Like many of my contemporaries, I was not sure what I wanted to do when I finished college. I entertained the thought of going to law school, but was offered an incredible position living in New York running a marketing company. After 5 years, the company was sold and I needed Plan B. That was when I decided to go to design school. At the time I was getting married and wanted a rewarding career, but would also allow me to be with my family. I came back to Chicago and attended The Harrington Institute of Interior Design. 

I've been an Interior Designer for 15 years. I been able to work with some very inspirational people. During my career, I spent most of my time decorating residential and vacation homes. I recently moved back from south Florida where I decorated with vivid colors, this has helped me bring a mixture of contemporary flare blended with traditional style to the Midwest. Over the years, I have come to enjoy all styles having been expose to so many different environments. I enjoy incorporating those styles and make them come together. 
After my clients express their dream environment to me, I start designing a space that will be livable and comfortable. Design has several starting points. Some of my clients need help defining their style. I work knowing I don't live in my client's space, I want the rooms to be a reflection of who they are. To me, being creative and being able to plan space is a small part of the design process. The real process is more sociological. 

I always start the process by asking a client, "what colors make you feel happy and why?" I also believe that your home identifies your likes, dislikes, your travels, your family history and who you are and where you been. Even growing up, I viewed a person's environment as a history lesson. When a person has an appreciation for family history, they can build their whole foundation on the importance of preserving the past and plan for the future that encompasses both significance.

The most rewarding opportunity I work with is when there is a raw space where two individuals are coming together. I find that when I can identify two individuals' environments and make it a place for them to cohabitate and share their life: the finish product and the gratification is unparalleled. 

 
I also enjoy helping people who need direction and enhancing their own personal style. Here are some of my designing advice:

1. Find a muse. Start your room around a painting or fabric and let it lead the way.

2. Don’t let a designer talk you into a look. Its your space, let your personally show. “Think timeless.

3.  Use furniture or accessories from family members. Having a piece of your grandparents' furniture is so important.  Pass down memories will make the environment more unique.

4On your travels, bring things back for your home. Collecting exciting things from around the world will fill your home with memories.

5Change small items in the room for each season. It makes the room fresh and the change will feel as things are evolving.         
Being an interior designer was a great career choice for me. I am growing my business and at the same time, raising my children. Designing is my passion and is very rewarding when I  have accomplished my clients goals.    


Kim Flashner Interior Designs, Inc.
847-208-5411
kimflashner@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment