Monday, March 22, 2010

Don't Toss It, Change It!

I love it when someone learns to work with a old piece of furniture and gives it another chance by changing it up, then welcoming it back into their home with a new admiration and appreciation.
When I visited Monica's house a month ago, I commented on a piece of furniture in her youngest daughter, Ava's room. She said "it didn't originally look like that" and began to tell me how she changed this unwanted piece of furniture into this shabby chic armoire perfect for any little girl's room. I was amazed because it looked original! I asked Monica to share the process with all of us:


"The armoire was redone by Rochelle Rodriguez, a Glencoe resident. First, I sanded down the armoire and remove the drawers and doors. Then Rochelle came over and painted it white.  She also brought over a catalog of adornments and we chose the floral type pattern.  She glued them on and painted them. Then, to give it an antique effect, she brushed a type of shellac over the entire armoire and then used a clean rag and rubbed it in and wiped some off. We reassembled the armoire and changed the wooden knobs to crystal ones. VOILA!"


If you have any tips on how you transformed a piece of furniture in your own home, like Monica did, send it my way! We'll be sure to post it for inspiration of learning to love it and not leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment